Pages

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Sciatica and the Chiropractor Part II

Every time I had this calf pain, I'd talk about how I needed to "see the chiropractor" and the pain would disapate and I'd think "I'm okay now."  This went on for 3-4 years!  For the past while, the pain was always there, maybe just a dull pain, but never pain free. 

Since my mom and my sister and I are planning a fabulous trip to Europe, I thought it would be a best practice to get this checked out.  We'll have long spells of sitting and sight seeing.

On the morning of my appointment I was a little nervous.  I had a little bit of discomfort in my leg, but no real throbbing pain.  I also recalled the two other times I mentioned this ailment to these two other MD's, and they blew it off.  Plus I had never been to a chiropractor and had no idea what to expect. I really don't like new things.  I wish I had someone to go with me.

The chiropractor's office was very close to home and free parking.  Great!  It seems like everything in Atlanta is 30 minutes drive away and you have to pay to park.  Good start.

I checked in, filled out a little paperwork, and went right in to see Dr. DelFavero. 

Dr. Nik put me at ease right away, asking me what I was experiencing.  I told him what I had told the other doctors.  He checked me out by having me bend, touch me toes and other stuff like that.  He called it "sciatica" and told me he could help me with that.

Yippee!  It has a name!  I had self-diagnosed myself at home and called it that. 

He told me that he would like to see me for 3-6 visits.  No xrays or anything, yet.  He would use ART to treat me, along with other procedures.
Active Release Technique (ART) Treats Soft Tissue Injuries, Relieves Pain, And Restores Normal Tissue Function

ART is a new and extremely effective approach to treating soft tissue injuries and the resulting pain.

That is not me in the picture on the left, but that is some of the technique.
He started treatment immediately.  I felt relief almost immediately.

I have now been 3 sessions for the sciatica and feel much better.  Not pain free yet.  I still need a couple more sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment