Pages

Friday, April 29, 2011

Friday- Pizza Night

One of the things about living on a budget at our house is dining out is an occasional thing; we just don't dine out as often any more.  In the beginning of "the budget" this was quite difficult for me!  I can't tell you how often I just didn't feel like cooking...now I'd rather (usually)  cook at home than eat out.

In March 2011, I stumbled across a Pizza Dough recipe in the Food Network Magazine (my friend, Laura, gave me a subscription as a present!  Great idea!)  Just about every Friday since, we have pizza night.  This dough is super easy to make.  My oven has a "proof" setting, so the dough rises easily.  I typically have shredded cheese in the freezer from when I buy it on sale, and I have cans of petite diced tomatoes in the pantry.  I do have to get started making the dough around 5PM to give it enough time to rise, but that usually fits into our routine.



Pizza Dough:
Whisk 3 3/4 cups flour and 1 !/2 teaspoons salt.  Make a well and add 1 1/3 cups warm water, 1 Tablespoon sugar and 1 packet yeast.  When foamy, mix in 2 Tablespoons olive oil; knead until smooth, 5 minutes.  Brush with olive oil, cover in a bowl and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour 30 minutes.  Divide into two 1-pound balls.  Use 1 pound per pie.

How to make a pizza:
Step 1: Place a pizza stone (I have a pizza stone.  It lives in the lower oven.) or an inverted baking sheet on the lowest oven rack and preheat to 500 degrees.
Step 2:  Stretch 1 pound of dough on a floured pizza peel, large wooden cutting board or parchment paper. (I use parchment paper...this changed my pizza making life!)
Step 3: Top as desired, then slide the pizza (with the parchment paper, if using) onto the stone or baking sheet.  Bake until golden,  about 15 minutes.

 Our Favorite Pizza? Onion!!
This is Vidalia Onion season in Georgia, and we love them on our pizza.  This is what I do...
 On parchment paper, I stretch out 1 pound of dough.
  I then spread one can of petite diced tomatoes over the pizza. I sprinkle the tomatoes with kosher salt, freshly ground pepper, drizzle with olive oil and toss on some dried oregano. 
Next I sprinkle on shredded mozzarella cheese (8 oz. or so).
Slice vidalia onions thinly and layer on the cheese.  Drizzle with more olive oil.  Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and more oregano.
Bake as directed above.
My kids love this one!
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment