Pages

Monday, February 27, 2012

What's for Breakfast?

Since we just can't make it together for a time of family dinner, we have family breakfast just about every weekday morning (during the school year).  I drag myself out of bed a bit before everyone else for a little quiet time and then get breakfast ready. I even set the table.  (Setting the table is the kids' job at night.)  During this season of Lent, I also try to have a little devotion/talk about this time of Lent. I've found a great little book The Lenten Tree, to help me with this.

Caroline is usually the first one down; she practices her guitar while we wait for the other two.  Mary Elizabeth is next.  She likes to get down early, so she can read the comics.  (She used to practice the piano when she was taking lessons.  She's not taking lessons now.)  Thomas takes a quick shower at this time.  When Thomas gets down, we eat.  (Thomas will practice the piano after breakfast.  Even though he's not taking lessons right now, he still likes to go and practice.)

This morning I made my own homemade version of "Hot Pockets."  Really easy, and the kids liked them.

Breakfast Pockets

Take a can of crescent rolls.  Make rectangles out of two rolls.  Pinch the seems together.

Put in the filling of your choice on one side of the rectangle.  This morning I used ham and cheese.  (I would guess the possibilities here are endless!)



Fold over the edges and seal tightly.  Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until nicely browned.  (This  picture is the "before cooked" breakfast pocket.  The kids ate them too quickly for me to get the "after.")


I am always looking for easy breakfast ideas.  Here's what's been in the rotation lately:
Buttermilk Pancakes
Waffles
Bagels
French Toast
Mr. Tippin's Buttermilk Biscuits
Toast
cinnamon rolls
(serve fruit with any of the above)


No comments:

Post a Comment