Pages

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Alarm Clocks

Life changing event- alarm clock for each kid.

When my first child started kindergarten, we were living in an apartment down the street from the house that we were remodeling.  All three kids shared a room in our two bedroom place.  All three kids got up at the same time to get ready to take Thomas school and to drive him over. It didn't seem to be a hassle; everyone being happy to get going. In February of that year, we moved into our newly remodeled house.  The baby had her own room, but Thomas and ME shared. In the new house, all the bedrooms are upstairs.  Then things seemed to change.

I'm an early riser, going downstairs first thing for some quiet time, breakfast etc. before the house awakens.  When time for Thomas to get up, I'd have to, first of all, keep an eye on the clock, then go back upstairs to shake Thomas awake.  Sometimes I'd have to go up again to get him up.  Then I'd instruct him to get dressed/brush hair/put on shoes...hurry up....wear this/come to breakfast...blah,blah,blah.  This was a little too much for me.  I wanted this monkey off my back.  I decided after a week or so of this that Thomas (5 years old) would have to be a little more independent and get up to his own alarm clock.

So Thomas got his very own alarm clock!  (Actually, he learned that the digital clock that was already in his room was an alarm clock.   We got it for him when he was really little because he was a super early riser.  We taught him to not come into our room until 6AM.  We had to tape over the "minute" digits with black electrical tape because some times he'd show up in our room at 4:36 or 5:16 or whatever.)  Starting the night before the next day of school, he learned all about the alarm clock (mainly how to turn it off) and set it to wake the next morning.  Along with setting the alarm the night before, clothes were decided on and instructions were given to get dressed (head to toe--brush hair/clothes/shoes and socks) and to arrive in the breakfast area to eat just as soon as possible.  Can I tell you how freeing this was!!  I no longer had to keep an eye on the clock in the morning.  I didn't have to trudge back upstairs.  I didn't have to shake/beg/plead for Thomas to get up.  I didn't have to monitor clothing selection.  I didn't have to remind to brush hair/get dressed/put on shoes and socks.  Thomas was all ready for school when he showed up for breakfast.  I just had to get breakfast on the table.

Of course, as the girls were entering kindergarten, they each learned all about the alarm clock.  The only time we might have a problem is if the alarm is not turned on!  Other than that this system continues to work beautifully. 

I bless the person who invented the alarm clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment