Pages

Friday, May 27, 2011

Rain and Kindness

Just 2 miles from our house is the greatest little market/lunch spot/butcher called the Oak Grove Market. http://www.oakgrovemarket.com/   This is a favorite lunch spot, and it just doesn't take long at all to walk to from our house.

Well, yesterday I had Mary Elizabeth ride the bus to the "Meat Market" after school because I didn't think I'd be able to make it to Marta to pick her up in time.  I decided I'd walk up to meet her, and we'd walk back together.  I got to the Market and found her at a booth with her friend finishing an ICEE.

(When I was growing up, it was a BIG treat to go to the 7-11 after church and get and ICEE.  We'd wait in the car while dad when in.  He'd come out with 4 small ICEEs and pass them out to us kids in the back seat.  Good times.)  

ME said she was "starving", so she ordered a grilled cheese.  While we were waiting for that, Mary Elizabeth asked if it was supposed to rain.  I said that I didn't think so.  Of course, in a few minutes it started pouring!  I was sure that by the time the grilled cheese as eaten, the rain would be over.

The rain did not cease.  It continued to rain...and lightning...and thunder.  We decided to wait it out a bit at the outside tables. Still...it rained some more.  A mom and her two kids were leaving and getting in their mini-van.  The mom asked if she could give us a ride that she had seen me walking up just a bit ago.  We assured her that the rain would be letting up and that we were going to enjoy the walk home.  Still...it rained some more.  Finally, Mary Elizabeth decided that we should walk home in the rain!  We did not have umbrellas because  I didn't think it was supposed to rain.  We headed home.

Just at the light on the corner, a friend rolled down her window and offered us a ride.  Crazily, we declined, just knowing the rain was going to stop.  No...it rained some more, and harder.  We're laughing and walking and getting wetter and wetter.  It's also thundering and lightning a little.  I'm sure we just might die.  Mary Elizabeth thinks it's awesome.

About 3/4 mile into the walk, we're drenched.  I told ME that if anyone at this point offers us a ride, we're taking it!  In a few moments, a car turns into a driveway ahead of us.  A cute young girl hops out and brings us a HUGE golf umbrella and tells us to take it and to keep dry!  She gets back into her car and drives away.  Wow!  We didn't even have time to ask her her name.  She had on a Woodward jacket and an Alpha Delta Pi sticker on her back windshield.  I'm guessing she lives in the neighborhood and is home from college.  Thank you, who ever you are!!

After that, the walk wasn't so bad.  It continued to rain pretty good the next mile or so, letting up to a quiet drizzle.  ME had put on her flip flops before we left the Market.  My sneaker were completely soaked, making that squishing noise when I took a step.

As we walked we talked about the kindness that had just been displayed to us.  There are some really nice people out there.  Mary Elizabeth decided that we should keep the umbrella with us, and if we ever see someone in need of an umbrella, that we give this one to them.  What a great idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment