Pages

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Keeping Lettuce

I'm in a veggie co-op.  Have been for about 6-8 years now.  Let me tell you about that later. 

We got two large, beautiful heads of romaine lettuce in our box Thursday.  I think romaine is my favorite lettuce.  It will take us a couple of weeks to go through it all.  Here is the way I keep it, so it will last.

Step 1: Wash your lettuce.
Step 2: Spin in a salad spinner to get most of the water off the leaves.

Two words about a salad spinner-Must Have!  If you don't have a salad spinner, run out and get one right now.  (I have an awesome OXO that my sister gave me as a present.  Awesome present.  This past Christmas, I was wrapping presents for a charity at Lenox Mall, and this guy was giving his sister (or somebody) a stainless steel salad spinner.  Very cool.)


Step 3: Roll out paper towels on the counter.
Step 4: Lay the cleaned and mostly dry leaves on the paper towels.
Step 5: Roll up the paper towels around the lettuce leaves jelly roll fashion.
Step 6: Put this into a plastic grocery bag and store in the fridge.

This will keep your lettuce "forever!"  And it's all clean and ready to eat when you're ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment