Pages

Friday, May 13, 2011

I Got Vaccinated Today

So...I went in for my annual exam with my OB/GYN today.  I always go around my birthday.  That's how I remember. (Plus, they send me a postcard to remind me, too....although one year I didn't get the post card and went TWO YEARS without my check-up.  It didn't seem like 2 years!  That's when I decided that I would go around my birthday.)  I schedule my mammograms for Back-to-School.

While at the OB, they suggested I get the Tdap vaccine.  I remember my kids getting this vaccine (for kids its called DTaP.)  It vaccinates you against diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis.

Diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis are serious diseases caused by bacteria. Diphtheria and pertussis are spread from person to person. Tetanus enters the body through cuts or wounds.

DIPHTHERIA causes a thick covering in the back of the throat.
It can lead to breathing problems, paralysis, heart failure, and even death.

TETANUS (Lockjaw) causes painful tightening of the muscles, usually all over the body.
It can lead to “locking” of the jaw so the victim cannot open his mouth or swallow. Tetanus leads to death in up to 2 out of 10 cases.

PERTUSSIS (Whooping Cough) causes coughing spells so bad that it is hard for infants to eat, drink, or breathe. These spells can last for weeks.
It can lead to pneumonia, seizures (jerking and staring spells), brain damage, and death.

My nurse told me there's a resurgence of folks getting these diseases, and that they're encouraging all their patients to get the vaccine.

Although children get vaccinated, older people still need protection. A vaccine called Tdap is similar to DTaP. A single dose of Tdap is recommended for people 11 through 64 years of age. Another vaccine, called Td, protects against tetanus and diphtheria, but not pertussis. It is recommended every 10 years. There are separate Vaccine Information Statements for these vaccines.

The vaccine I got today will last 10 years.  My arm hurts a little.



I got this information from:
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Vaccine Information Statement
DTaP (5/17/07)
42 U.S.C. § 300aa-26

No comments:

Post a Comment