Pages

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

How Does My Garden Grow?

I really didn't like tomatoes until I started to grow my own.  Now I love them!  I have one of the shadiest lots in the neighborhood, with the middle of the front yard being the sunniest.  I can't plant there because I have 3 kids who like to play "tackle loco," ultimate Frisbee, soccer, "flashlight tag" etc. in the front yard.  That means I have to find spots here and there to plant my veggies.

This year I have two tomato plants in the corner of the front yard with big tomato cages around them.  Hopefully a basketball or sneaker won't flatten them.  At the corner of the house, I've planted a bell pepper and a couple of sunflowers. (I have mixed success with sunflowers.  Most of the time the bunnies eat them before they get too big. )  Down the side of the house between the carport and sidewalk (about 1 1/2 feet of  dirt between carport and sidewalk), I've planted basil (one plant and then a packet of seeds, nothing happening with the seeds yet) and 2 more tomato plants.  I have rosemary and oregano there already that I planted a couple of years ago.  They look great.  If you need any rosemary, come see me.

Before planting, I amend the soil with some sort of nature's helper/vegetable soil.  Then I just throw them in the ground and water them and cross my fingers.  Last year was a bad year for my garden.  The year before was great! (Bumper crop of tomatoes!)  Don't know why. 

Other things I've grown: yellow crook neck squash (kinda prickly fuzzy), jalapeno peppers (planted 2 of these that year, loads of peppers), cayenne peppers (looked pretty, never did anything with them), that bean plant that comes home with your kid from school because of a science project (actually grew and ate those beans).  Growing stuff is so fun.  It's like watching a miracle happen.

When we have a lot of tomatoes we love love love Bruschetta (recipe courtesy of my brother and his wife!) Everyone loves this one!!

Bruschetta
1 1/2 pounds ripe juicy tomatoes
1 clove garlic - minced
1-2 teaspoons capers
1/4 cup loosely packed fresh oregano-shredded 
olive oil (a couple of tablespoons?)

Peel and roughly chop tomatoes. (To peel tomatoes: put and X on the stem end, drop in boiling water for 1 minute, then plunge in ice water one minute...peel those skins right off.)
Mix all ingredients together.  Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve on little toasted rounds of bread. (slice a baguette, brush with olive oil, toast in the oven)

I'm very fortunate that my friend, Jenny, brings me okra from her mom's garden in the summer.  I don't grow okra, but I love to fry a big batch every now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment