Pages

Friday, June 24, 2011

Cloth Napkins

Growing up, whenever we used cloth napkins at a meal, it was a special occasion.  I liked setting the table when mom would get out the perfectly ironed napkins.  I thought cloth napkins were only for holidays and fancy dinners and other noteworthy occasions.  What a delight to unfold the square of cloth and drape it across my lap.  No thin bit of paper that crumpled and got in a wad.

How thrilled I was when my brother got married and his wife used cloth napkins just about every day!  What a paradigm shift!  Every day!  Not just special occasions.  I decided at that moment, when I had my own place, I also would have cloth napkins for daily use.  Guess what?  I do.

Now, beside the breakfast table, I have a basket of napkins.  All colors and patterns.  I have more in the small chest of drawers in the breakfast area.  I have them for all seasons and occasions.  I have some with monograms and some from Great Aunt Dot that used/made.  And I don't iron them!  I launder them along with the rest of our stuff, pull them out of the dryer, and smooth them as I fold.  (Occasionally, we use a paper napkin or two, but not too often.)

I do have these super sized white linen napkins I inherited from my Grandma Grace.  They are used for special occasions, and I do iron them (with spray starch).  They are luxurious and fun to use. 

I'm always on the lookout for new and pleasing cloth napkins.  I just bought some super-fun colorful napkins (on sale) at Target with some of my birthday money.  I'm a happy girl

No comments:

Post a Comment