Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

How to Treat Others


One lesson I've tried to teach my children is to treat others the way that you want to be treated.  This is such a hard lesson for a child.  Their response to me is, "Well, they did this to me!  I will do the same thing to them!"  No...it's not how you are treated, but how you would want to be treated.  Very difficult.  
 
I seem to say ad nauseum, "Is that how you would want to be treated?"  "Are you treating your brother/sister the way you would want to be treated."  One day, I hope they get it.
 
This is also a lesson I apply to myself.  Do I treat my husband the way I would want to be treated.  Do I say nice, kind words?  Am I respectful in my actions or do I criticize and lash out, disrespect, nag etc.  (I certainly want my husband to speak kindly to me, to respect me.)  When I'm at a restaurant and am waited on, am I demanding...do I under stand if things just aren't going well.  (I sure would want a customer to be nice if I was the waiter.)  I try to put myself in that persons shoes and treat them the way I would want to be treated.

 

Matthew 7:12 

So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

No comments:

Post a Comment